In December of 2016, the Town of Weymouth received $400,000 in grant funding for park improvements to the Emery Estate through the Parkland Acquisitions and Renovations for Communities (PARC) program. Mayor Hedlund joined Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs Secretary Matthew Beaton for the award announcement on December 12th in Taunton. The grant will support a $1.7 million investment in the grounds of the Emery Estate to support passive recreation and programmed outdoor events.
The Massachusetts PARC program assists cities and towns in acquiring and developing land for park and outdoor recreation purposes. Cities of any size, Cape Cod communities, and towns with more than 35,000 residents are eligible for the grant maximum of $400,000. Proposed park improvements at the Emery Estate will include parking to accommodate public use, safe vehicle access from Emery Lane, new pedestrian entrances at Commercial and North Streets, a comfort building and pavilion structure to support programmed events, and a new circuit of paths and walking trails to take advantage of the property’s hilltop views and isolation.
The PARC program was identified as a potential funding source for improving the grounds of the estate by the Mayor's Planning staff and Emery Estate Advisory Committee. Conceptual plans for a grant proposal were developed by the Town's Engineering Division in consultation with Planning and Recreation staff. Plans were presented to residents on the evening of June 21, 2016 during a public informational meeting sponsored by the Committee. Materials from this meeting are available below. A final funding application for the PARC program was submitted to the state's Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA) on July 13, 2016.
On December 5, 2016, the Town Council authorized the borrowing of $1.7 million to fund improvements to the grounds of the Emery Estate. Materials from the Town Council's public meeting are available below.
- Press Release: Weymouth awarded $400K grant (Dec 12, 2016)
- Video: Town Council Public Hearing (Dec 5, 2016)
- Public Hearing Presentation (Dec 5, 2016)
- Page extracts from FY17 PARC grant application (Jul 13, 2016)
- Video: Public Informational Meeting (Jun 22, 2016)
- Public Informational Meeting Presentation (Jun 22, 2016)
- Press Release: Mayor’s Advisory Committee will hold an informational meeting on a proposed grant application for the Emery Estate (Jun 14, 2016)
- Public Meeting Announcement (Jun 2016)
- Public Meeting Announcement Portuguese (Jun 2016)