|Progress and change, which come with the passing of time, have eliminated much evidence of Weymouth’s history. To help ensure the remembrance of important places and events, Weymouth's Historical Commission has placed markers throughout the town that identify significant historical sites.|
Marker Locations and Text
Abigail Adams Birthplace
Marker placed in 1966. Located at 180 Norton Street.
Abigail Smith Adams, the wife of John Adams, 2nd President, and Mother of John Quincy Adams, 6th Presidents, was born here in 1744.
Marker placed in 1965. Located at the corner of Commercial and Washington Street, opposite the Sacred Heart School.
An inn and stagecoach stop operated by Samuel Arnold at the fork of the Plymouth and Bridgewater Trails. This Tavern served as a meeting place for the Committee of Safety for Weymouth and nine of the neighboring towns during the Revolutionary War.
First Church in Weymouth
Marker placed in 1966. Located at 17 Church Street.
Gathered in 1623, settlers from England formed the nucleus of the first parish. The town meeting form of government originated here. The first meetinghouse was on Burying Hill. The present site was purchased in 1682 and this meeting house was erected in 1833.
First "Town House"
Marker placed in 1966. Located at the corner of Middle and Washington Street, near the end/exit of Winter Court.
Here in 1852 at the geographical center of Weymouth was built the first "town house" or town hall, later used as a high school. During King Philip's War in 1675, this was the location nearest to Boston at which settlers battled Indians and houses were burned.
Marker placed in 1965. Located at 870 Broad Street.
Built in the early 1770's, an ordinary* operated by Josiah Rice, the "Innholder," known as the half-way house on the Boston to Plymouth Trail.
*In the colonies, any tavern or inn that served a complete meal at a fixed price was referred to as an ordinary.
Second Parish Meeting House
Marker placed in 1965. Located at 25 Columbian Street.
Here, in 1722, the settlers of the southerly end of Weymouth erected their first meeting house on the land of Jacob Turner at the junction of several trails called "the Great Plain." That building was replaced in 1785 and again in 1854 by the present edifice.
- Abigail Adams Historical Society and Birthplace
- Civil War
- Dugout Aboriginal Canoe
- Fire Protection
- First Hundred Years
- Granite Quarries
- Herring Run
- Historic Site Markers
- Historic Timeline
- Historical Commission
- Homes in Weymouth
- Ice Harvesting
- Illustrated Maps
- Iron Industry
- Maritime Commerce
- Military History
- Minerals and Resources
- National Register of Historic Places
- Native American History
- Naval Air Station South Weymouth
- People in History
- Pictures: Weymouth History
- Police Force
- Public Schools
- Shoe Industry
- Taverns and Toll Houses
- The Weymouth Fair
- Video: Weymouth History
- Weymouth's National Treasure