Historic Gallery

Weymouth Landing - Corner of Washington & Commercial Sts. looking North. Spire of East Braintree Union Cong. Church in distance. Church burned 1897
Looking North from 45 Randall Ave., home of the Gareys. Church in middle of photo is old Immaculate Conception church. It has been replaced with current building.
Aerial shot of Columbian Square (1938).
Herring Run, Lower Jackson Square (Today, called Commercial Square)
Sacred Heart Church - Washington Square
Post Office - Columbian Square
Old Spear Shoe Factory
South Weymouth Naval Air Base - Lighter Than Air Ships and Hangar
Fogg Opera House - Columbian Square - South Weymouth (around the turn of the century)
Fogg Opera House (Today) - Columbian Square - South Weymouth
Fogg Library (Today) - Columbian Square - South Weymouth
Washington School Building. This was one of the early schools in Weymouth. It is located in Commercial Square (Lower Jackson Square) - East Weymouth
Aerial Photograph of New Hangar - South Weymouth Naval Air Base
Aerial Photograph - South Weymouth Naval Air Base
Abigail Smith Adam's Birth Place - Weymouth Massachusetts
Veteran's Memorial - Weymouth Massachusetts, Photo by: Barry Wood
First Federal building in Weymouth (built 1941). Built with local Granite. United States Post office - Weymouth Landing
Korean War Memorial - Jackson Square - Weymouth, Massachusetts
Grand Army of the Republic - Lincoln Square - Weymouth, Massachusetts Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Soldiers Monument - North Weymouth, Massachusetts Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Jerry Quinn of Lovell's Corner, Company "H", of 4th MASS. Cavalry. He pulled down the Confederate Flag and raised the United States Flag over Richmond, Virginia, April 3, 1865
View from bottom of Weymouth Landing looking up what is now Route 53. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Bicknell Square (1940s) Police officer in intersection. Street car tracks are still under the existing roadway. This photo looking North down what is now 3A. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Bicknell Junior High School Football Team (1955). Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Bicknell Square in the snow. Unitarian Church in background as trolley moves down street. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Aerial photo of Weymouth Landing (1951). Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Map of the origins of early roads in Weymouth. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Aerial photo of Woolen Mill (1938). Train tracks in front is the same route that the Greenbush line will use. Great Esker Park in upper left hand corner and back river in the upper right. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Bailys Green, Columbian Square (1951). Shows a rotary. Today the rotary is ascent but the recent master plan suggests solving current traffic problems by rebuilding it. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Aerial photo of Whitman’s Pond (1951) - Lake Street Housing Projects (this housing project was constructed for World War Two Veterans who were returning from the war), Lake Shore Drive , The Birches. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Old post card of Sea Street North Weymouth. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Aerial photo of Legion Field (1951). Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Photo of Legion Field view from Middle Street side (2001).
Lovell's Grove Poster. The type at the bottom states "The most magnificent Grove in New Engalnd. Steamers from Boston three times daily each way. T. J. Dunbar & Co. Agents." This is currently the site of the Power Plant on 3A. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Post 58, G.A.R., Weymouth, at Mt. Hope Cemetery, May 30th, 1882.
Weymouth Iron Works, near Jackson Square in a section of town then called Herrings Island (1800s). Iron Works primarily produced nails but during it's history it produced such materials as anchors, chain, and shovels. The Iron Works opened on March 4, 1837. The Weymouth Iron Works burned to the ground on June 16, 1869 but was rebuilt. The Iron Works were closed in the 1880s but the buildings were used until the 1930s. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historica
Wessagusett Beach, North Weymouth. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Armistice Day 1929, Weymouth Veterans. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Bass Icehouse, Great Pond about 1910. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Columbian Square (1951) - Traffic Island, served as a roundabout. The roundabout is not currently there. There has been much discussion in recent years about the traffic problems in Columbian Square. One suggested solution is to reconstruct the roundabout. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Aerial photo of Bradley Fertilizer Works. At one time "the works" purported to be the largest Fertilizer Works in the World. The Fertilizer was primarily made from phosphates. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Old post card of Fort Point and Bradley Fertilizer Works, North Weymouth Massachusetts. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Art & Leather fire (1938). The Art & Leather factory was destroyed. The town of Weymouth would not let them rebuild the factory because of the chemicals that were necessary for production. The factory was re-estabilished in Braintree MA. That factory burned down in 2001. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Advertisement for Weymouth Drive-In Theatre: Weymouth, Massachusetts. Weymouth had one of the first five Drive-In Theatres in the country. Weymouth's opened on May 6 1936. The first one in the United States opened June 6, 1933 in Camden NJ. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Massachusetts Senator John F. Kennedy signing the guest book at the Abigail Adams Birthplace. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Fogg Building est 1951. Rotary with old cars. Cameo Theatre in background to right of the rotary. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Bower House over looking the water. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
CAIN'S ("Mr. Lobster at his best") old post card, North Weymouth MA. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Great Hill, North Weymouth MA, old post card. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Catching Herring, Herring Run, Lower Jackson Square. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Upper Jackson Square before Korean Memorial. Daniel Reidy Druggist on left hand side was a long time Jackson Square business. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Photo of class of 1949 Graduation Ceremony at Ralph Talbot Amphitheatre. Photo view from hill looking down towards Middle Street. Onward Fourtyniners in forground in front of podium. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Masonic Temple on Broad Street. Decked out for the 4th of July. This Building was replaced by current brick building on Broad Street. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Old photograph of Merritt Mill. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Photograph of old High School Building. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Old postcard of Popeye Dine and Dance, North Weymouth, MA. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
John Slattery, 18, Company “H”, 12th Regiment Infantry, Massachusetts Volunteers. The first South Weymouth boy killed during the Civil War. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Photo of The Stetson Shoe Company Building and Delivery Truck. Stetson Shoes was one of a number of shoe factories in the town of Weymouth. The Stetson Shoe Company closed it's operations in 1973. The factory building has been converted to office space. Location is on Route 18 south of Route 3. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Recent photo of The Stetson Shoe Company Building. The factory building has been converted to office space. Location is on Route 18 south of Route 3. Photo By Barry Wood
Photograph of horses, sleigh in snow. Somewhere in South Weymouth. Year unknown. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
The Wharf, Weymouth, MA (old postcard), Schooner at Rhines Lumber Yard, Weymouth Landing. At Weymouth Landing a substantial number of wharfs lined the shore of the Monatiquot River, the aren now generally called the Fore River. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Unitarian Church in Bicknell Square. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
View at Fort Point, North Weymouth, MA (old postcard) Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
View of Wessagussett Beach, North Weymouth, MA (old postcard). Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Aerial photo of East Weymouth. White area in forground is a sand pit. The sand pit is now occupied by the Lawrence W. Pingree Primary School. Large area of water at the top of the photo is Whitman's Pond. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Old Town Hall building, East Weymouth, MA (postcard). First Town Hall - Built in 1852 near the corner of Middle & Washington Streets, moved in 1906-7 to Pleasant Street at the at the Gloria Burke Teen Center Location. The building was destroyed by fire, May 27, 1914. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Aerial photo of Whitman's Pond. Middle Street runs along bottom of photograph. Image provided by: Jodi Purdy-Quinlan, Vice Chairman of the Weymouth Historical Commission
Photo of Weymouth Town Hall 2001. This building was built in 1928. Area designated a historic district 2002. Photo by Barry Wood
Aerial photo looking down Route 3A towards Hingham.
Photo of Corner Stone being placed on May 30 1928 of the current Weymouth Town Hall Building. The corner stone is made of local granite. Facing the building it is on the front right hand side. Image provided by Elizabeth Emde postcard collection.
Photo of Cowing House on 1075 Commercial Street, East Weymouth. The area behind the house was a farm. The Cowing Family donated the land behind this house to the town and the North High School was built there. The building is still there today. Image provided by the William and Elaine Pepe postcard collection.
The Weymouth Fair. The Weymouth Agricultural and Industrial Society was formed in October of 1864 and maintained and operated an annual fair which was widely attended by towns people. The Fair Grounds have been changed into a housing development and are no longer held. Image provided by the William and Elaine Pepe postcard collection.
The Weymouth Fair. The Weymouth Agricultural and Industrial Society was formed in October of 1864 and maintained and operated an annual fair which was widely attended by towns people. The Fair Grounds have been changed into a housing development and are no longer held. Image provided by the William and Elaine Pepe postcard collection.
The Old Pump, Lovell's Corner, East Weymouth MA. The two houses in the background, on the left hand side are still there today. Image provided by the William and Elaine Pepe postcard collection.
Station 7, Lovell's Corner, East Weymouth MA. Firehouse building still stands and is currently a printing business. Image provided by the William and Elaine Pepe postcard collection.
Stetson's Shoe Factory, South Weymouth. Today building is still standing almost identical to how it is pictured here. It has been changed over to office space and is located on Route 18 near RT 3. Image provided by the William and Elaine Pepe postcard collection.
Postcard of Lower Jackson Square. Washington School Building is on the right hand side of the card. Today that building is still standing and restored and used as office space. The awning on the left hand side was the entrance to Burrell's which was a long time business in Lower Jackson Square. Burrell's is currently Nico's Restaurant. Image provided by the William and Elaine Pepe postcard collection.
Weymouth Hospital, Main and Columbian Streets, South Weymouth MA. The South Shore Hospital currently is in this location. Image provided by the William and Elaine Pepe postcard collection.
Weymouth High School and later East Junior High School, Middle Street, Weymouth MA. This building was destroyed by fire in 1971 and was replaced by what is now called the Abigail Adam's Intermediate School. Image provided by the William and Elaine Pepe postcard collection.
Jackson Square, Old Home Week, August 26 - 31, 1912. Image provided by the William and Elaine Pepe postcard collection.
Route 3A (view towards Hingham) Aerial 2002.
Fort Point Aerial 2002.
Weymouth Landing Aerial 2002.
Legion Field Aerial 2002.
Aerial photo of East Weymouth looking towards Whitman's Pond 2002.
Aerial photo of site of Woolen Mill East Weymouth 2002.
Aerial photo of site of Whitman's Pond, Lake Street in forground 2002.
Aerial photo of site of Whitman's Pond, Middle Street in forground 2002.
Aerial photo of site of Columbian Square 2002.
Aerial photo of South Intermediate School and The Pleasant Street High School Campus. The current plan is to demolish the South Intermediate School and add an addition to the existing High School Building at 360 Pleasant Street.
Aerial photo of South Weymouth Naval Air Base 2002
Aerial photo of construction of the Abigail Adams Park. 2002
Aerial photo of Great Pond with South Weymouth NAS in background. 2002
Aerial photo of Ralph Talbot School with soccer field construction project underway. 2002
Aerial photo of golf course construction project underway in South Weymouth. 2002
Aerial photo of watershed, Weymouth. 2002
Photo of Weymouth Landing Floods 12 1/2 Years Apart (top August 1955, bottom February 1968) From Weymouth News