Columbian Square is located in South Weymouth, east of Main Street (Route 18). It has varied architectural influences, but over time, has been the most consistent of Weymouth's four village centers.
The square is dominated visually by the Fogg Library, Old South Union Church, and the former Fogg Opera House Building and John S. Fogg Boot Factory Building. Three of these properties are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
A confluence of well-traveled roads and diverse land uses makes Columbian Square an active center for pedestrian and vehicle traffic. The square has a good mix of small retail shops and service-oriented businesses. Nearby housing consists mostly of single-family homes and apartment buildings. The area’s principal commercial use is the South Shore Hospital – the community’s largest employer and leading regional provider of acute, outpatient, home health, and hospice care.
- Columbian Street
- Main Street (Route 18)
- Pleasant Street
- Union Street
- MBTA Bus Line 225
- Fogg Library
- Municipal Lot
- Stella Tirrel Park
- Cameo Theater (Georgian Revival)
- Church of the Holy Nativity (Tudor Revival)
- Fogg Library (National Register - Renaissance Revival)
- Fogg Opera House Building (National Register - Richardsonian Romanesque)
- John S. Fogg Boot Factory Building (Italianate)
- Old South Union Church (National Register - Greek Revival)
- South Shore Savings Bank (Classical Revival)
- South Shore Hospital
- U.S. Post Office Building