Columbian Square is located in South Weymouth, east of Main Street (Route 18). It has varied architectural influences but over time, has been the most consistent of the four village centers.
The square is dominated visually by the Fogg Library, Fogg Opera House, Old South Union Church, and the former John S. Fogg Boot Factory. Three of these properties are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
A confluence of well-travelled roads and diverse land uses makes Columbian Square an active center for pedestrian and vehicle traffic. There is a good mix of small retail shops and service-oriented businesses, and housing around the square is mostly single-family homes and apartment buildings. The area’s principal commercial use is the South Shore Hospital, the community’s largest employer and leading regional provider of acute, outpatient, home health, and hospice care.
- Columbian Street
- Main Street (Route 18)
- Pleasant Street
- Union Street
- MBTA Bus Line 225 - Quincy Center Station to Weymouth Landing and South Weymouth
Public and Open Space:
- Fogg Library
- Municipal Lot
- Stella Tirrel Park & Rink
- Cameo Theater (Georgian Revival)
- Church of the Holy Nativity (Tudor Revival)
- Fogg Opera House (National Register - Richardsonian Romanesque)
- Former John S. Fogg Boot Factory (National Register - Italianate)
- Mary Lou’s News (Tudor Revival)
- Old South Union Church (National Register - Greek Revival)
- South Shore Savings Bank (Classical Revival)
- South Shore Hospital
- St Francis Xavier Church and School
- U.S. Post Office