In December 2016, the Town received $400,000 in grant funding for park improvements to the grounds of the Emery Estate through the Parkland Acquisitions and Renovations for Communities (PARC) program. Mayor Hedlund joined Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs Secretary Matthew Beaton for the award announcement on December 12th in Taunton.
The Massachusetts PARC program assists cities and towns in acquiring and developing land for park and outdoor recreation purposes. Cities of any size, Cape Cod communities, and towns with more than 35,000 residents are eligible for the grant maximum of $400,000. Proposed park improvements at the Emery Estate included parking to accommodate public use, enhanced vehicle and pedestrian access from Emery Lane, a comfort building and pavilion structure to support programed events, and a walking path to take advantage of the property’s hilltop setting.
The PARC program was identified as a potential funding source for improving estate by the Mayor's Planning staff and Emery Estate Advisory Committee. Conceptual plans for a new park were developed by the Town's Engineering Division in consultation with Planning and Recreation staff. Plans were presented to residents on the evening of June 21, 2016 during a public informational meeting sponsored by the committee. A final funding application for the PARC program was submitted to the Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA) on July 13, 2016.
On December 5, 2016, the Town Council authorized the borrowing of $1.7 million to fund improvements to the grounds of the Emery Estate.
- Press Release: Weymouth awarded $400K PARC grant (Mayor's Office, Dec 2016)
- Video: Town Council Public Hearing (WETC, Dec 2016)
- Presentation: Public Hearing (DPCD, Dec 2016)
- Extracted pages from FY17 PARC Grant application (DPCD, Jul 2016)
- Video: Public Informational Meeting (WETC, Jun 2016)
- Presentation: Public Informational Meeting (DPCD, Jun 2016)
- Press Release: Committee will hold public meeting on proposed grant application (Mayor's Office, Jun 2016)
- Public Meeting Announcement (DPCD, Jun 2016)
- Public Meeting Announcement Portuguese (DPCD, Jun 2016)