Mayor Hedlund has announced plans for Phase 2 of the 2022 Pave the Wey program, beginning late summer into the fall of 2022. This second phase of the project will result in over $5 million of new road improvements.
Upon taking Office in 2016, Mayor Hedlund immediately began working to address road infrastructure issues that existed. This included continuing to dedicate Community Development Block Grant funding and free cash to road improvements. Utilizing additional bond funding, surplus funds, and state funding, Pave the Wey efforts in 2020 and 2021 resulted in over $7.5 million in improvements on 70,000 linear feet of sidewalks and roads.
In Late FY21 and into FY22, Mayor Hedlund committed to an even greater investment in the road infrastructure, dedicating $1.1M in anticipated Chapter 90 funding, $4M in bond funds, and $3M in host community agreement funds for North Weymouth roads.
The second phase of Pave the Wey work includes additional funding for Summer Street from National Grid and funds from the Winter Recovery Assistance Program (WRAP) from the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT). WRAP provides supplemental funding for cities and towns to improve their transportation networks in response to harsh winter weather.
When determining which roads to consider for improvements, the Department of Public Works complies a number of data points such as road length, volume, material, and condition to create a ranking for the Pavement Condition Index (PCI). The PCI can range from 40 to 100. The baseline PCI for the roads included in the Pave the Wey program is 65 or lower.
Phase 2 of Pave the Wey includes the following roads:
- Washington Street from Broad Street to the Town Line
- Idlewell Street from Commercial Street to Chandler Street
- Summer Street – entire length (1st phase of milling and leveling to be completed in 2022. Second phase of finishing to be completed in Spring 2023.)
- Blueberry Road-Blueberry Place and Autumn Lane (off Summer Street)
- Abigail Adams Circle and John Quincy Lane
- Stanley Street
- Beach Road and Peter Road
- Subdivision including: Coolidge Avenue, Taft Road, Presidents Road, Wilson Avenue, Roosevelt Road, and McKinley Road