The grounds are currently CLOSED due to construction. For questions related to the park project, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Emery Estate is a 24-acre property located on King Oak Hill in East Weymouth. The property was owned by the Emery family and operated as a single-family home (and at times, a working farm) for nearly 100 years. The Town purchased the property in 2011 with $1.9 million in Community Preservation funds. The land is largely untouched open space and is equivalent in area to about 18 football fields. Proposed park improvements to the property include parking to accommodate public use, safe vehicle and pedestrian access from Emery Lane, a pavilion and restroom building to support outdoor events, and a loop walking path that highlights the property’s isolation and open space.
In January of 2017, the Town hired Shadley Associates Landscape Architects of Lexington to design King Oak Hill Park as an accessible public space for passive recreation and programmed outdoor events. Two public meetings were held on the design of the park, and a third meeting was held prior to construction, so residents could become fully acquainted with the project's scope and anticipated work schedule.
The site plan for King Oak Hill Park separates the park's vehicular and pedestrian elements, and includes the following park improvements:
- Resurfacing of Emery Lane
- New curb and sidewalk on Emery Lane
- New park gate and raised crosswalk
- 55 parking spaces (reduced from 90)
- Drop off area with handicapped and bicycle parking
- Drainage swale and stormwater infiltration area
- Pipe connection to underground drainage system
- New 1,500-SF outdoor open pavilion
- New 500-SF restroom building
- New interpretive panel and wayfinding signage
- New handicapped accessible loop walking path with benches
In October of 2017, the Town awarded the contract for construction of King Oak Hill Park to MDR Construction Company of Tewksbury. Construction is anticipated to start in October of 2017 and will be completed by June of 2018.
- Video: Public Meeting #3 (Oct 12, 2017)
- Public Meeting #3 Presentation (Oct 12, 2017)
- Public Meeting #3 Announcement (Oct 12, 2017)
- Site Plan for Construction (Oct 11, 2017)
- Video: Public Meeting #2 (Mar 29, 2017)
- Public Meeting #2 Presentation (Mar 29, 2017)
- Public Meeting #2 Announcement (Mar 29 2017)
- Video: Public Meeting #1 (Feb 28, 2017)
- Public Meeting #1 Presentation (Feb 28, 2017)
- Public Meeting #1 Announcement (Feb 2017)
- Video: Town Council Public Hearing (Dec 5, 2016)
- Public Hearing Presentation (Dec 5, 2016)
- Video: Public Meeting (Jun 22, 2016)
- Public Meeting Presentation (Jun 22, 2016)
- Public Meeting Announcement (Jun 2016)
- Public Meeting Announcement Portuguese (Jun 2016)