The Mass Cultural Council's Local Cultural Council (LCC) Program is the largest grassroots cultural funding network in the nation supporting thousands of community-based projects in the arts, humanities, and interpretive sciences annually. Each year, LCCs serving all 351 Massachusetts communities award more than $3 million in grants to more than 6,000 cultural programs statewide. The program promotes the availability of rich cultural experiences for every Massachusetts resident.
Mass Cultural Council funds are annually distributed to LCCs, who then provide grants to eligible applicants for arts, humanities, and interpretive science projects in their own communities. A hallmark of the LCC Program is the emphasis on local autonomy and decision making. LCCs are free to make funding decisions that best meet the needs and priorities of their own communities within the parameters of broad state guidelines. Each LCC determines its own local eligibility requirements and funding priorities, which are then published on the LCC's profile page.
Weymouth's Application Requirements and Priorities
In distributing Mass Cultural Council funds, the Weymouth Cultural Council gives preference to events and performances located at Weymouth community venues and organized by established artists and organizations based in Weymouth or supporting the residents of Weymouth.
The Weymouth Cultural Council will fund projects that include but are not limited to:
- Community-wide gatherings
- Festivals, concerts, plays, and other cultural activities
- School cultural enrichment programs
- Nature, interpretive science, and environmental education projects
- Projects celebrating local history and/or cultural diversity
- Restoration or preservation projects (not related to capital expenditures)
- Neighborhood revitalization
- Local artists' living and work spaces and professional development
Any Massachusetts-based individual, artist, non-profit community group, cultural institution, or school may submit a grant application to the Weymouth Cultural Council. Applicants must also meet all state eligibility and criteria requirements under the LCC Program.
In addition to the state’s criteria, grant applications will be evaluated based on the following:
- How well the program meets local priorities
- Community support and involvement
- Evidence of a good track record and dedication
- Financial need
- Demonstrated planning
- Ability to address the diverse cultural needs of underserved populations or support diverse forms of cultural activities