Domestic Violence Information

These are your rights if you are involved in a domestic violence situation and you don’t know what to do, or where to turn to for help. After you read what you can and cannot do, I have listed phone numbers that you may want to call, and talk with someone confidentially who truly understands your situation and will help you, no matter what. Don’t ever think your problem is impossible to solve.

Your Rights:
You havet he right to appear at the Superior, Probate and Family, District, or Boston Municipal Court, if you reside within the appropriate jurisdiction, and file a complaint requesting any of the following applicable orders:

  1. An order restraining your attacker from abusing you;
  2. An order directing your attacker to leave your household, building or workplace;
  3. An order awarding you custody of a minor child;
  4. An order directing your attacker to pay support for you or any minor child in your custody, if the attacker has legal obligation of support; and
  5. An order directing your medical and moving expenses, loss of earnings or support, costs for restoring utilities and replacing locks, reasonable attorney’s fees, and other out-of-pocket losses for unjury and property damage sustained.

For an emergency on weekends, holidays, or week nights, the police will refer you to a justive of the Superior, Probate and Family, District, or Boston Municipal Court departments.

You have the right to go to the appropriate district court, or the Boston Municipal Court and seek a criminal complaint for threats, assualt and battery, assault with a deadly weapon, assault with intent to kill, or other related offenses.

If you are in need of medical treatment, you have the right to request that an officer present drive you to the nearest hospital or otherwise assist you in obtaining medical treatment.

If you believe that police protection is needed for your physical safety, you have the right to request that the officer present remain at the scene until you and your children can leave or until your safety is otherwise ensured. You may also request that the officer assist you in locating and taking you to a safe place, including but not limited to a designated meeting place for shelter, or a family member’s or friend’s residence, or a similar place of safety.

You may request a copy of the police incident report at no cost to you from the police department.

Here are some phone numbers if you are in need of help:

“all calls are confidential.”

In Weymouth @ 541 Main St. 682 0800 M thru F
DOVE, Inc – DOmestic Violence Ended 
24 Hr 1-888-314-DOVE (3683)
Asian Domestic Violence: 1 617 338 2350
National Abuse Hotline: 1 800 799 SAFE
Disabled Abuse Hotline: 1 800 426 9009
Elder Abuse Hotline: 1 800 922 2275 M to F
New Hope Shelter: 1 508 695 2113
Battered Woman’s Services: 1 800 992 2600
Domestic Violence Unit (Quincy) 1 617 472 2515
Greater Boston Legal Services: 1 617 472 3177
Emerge Batterer’s Treatment: 1 617 422 1550

Don’t hesitate, if you need to, Call.